A week from now, three 2. Bundesliga matches will already be in the books, but I’ll be getting ready to leave town to go camping for the weekend, meaning that I might be the absolute last Köln fan in the world to get with the kicking-off of the season properly. It’ll probably be late Sunday before I am able to get to FC-TV and watch the match for myself.
This also means I’ll need to not be reading email or Twitter or anything else the entire car ride back from the coast. Results have a way of finding me through social media.
It’s going to be tough, people, but I’ll make it. In my head, however, I’ll be going bananas.
You know, but if you have my number, don’t be texting me the score, okay?
Another quiet day around the virtual Geißbockheim, so…let’s see what I can put together:
- Funny item from my WordPress statistics: among the search terms used to land on my site was “Adam Matuschyk 2013 hot.” So, Adam, if you’re reading (and I don’t believe for a second that you are), at least one person is trolling the interwebs seeking photos of you looking hot!As we’re now eight days away from the season start, I may indulge this person by adding one.
- The virtual version 2013-14 1. FC Köln merchandise catalog is available now, should you need piles of temptation to spend money on Effzeh gear.On my first pass through it, I found myself easily clearing the 400-Euro mark, which seems maybe less crazy if I tell you I also have items selected for both of my sons…maybe? Besides, if I’m going to pay shipping, I may as well make it worthwhile by getting a bunch of stuff at once, right?I’m clearly seeking enablers.
Despite being in no need of ball caps, jerseys, or t-shirts, I have to tell you, there are loads of tempting items being offered.
I should be able to resist the Poldi bed clothes, however.
- Unless I misunderstood, coach Stöger had given the team some time away from training to recover from the intensity of training camp, with today being the first day back to work for the players.This would mean today was the first time Anthony Ujah was training in Köln since making the permanent transfer, as well as the first practice with the team for Daniel Halfar.There are some garden-variety training photos on the club’s Facebook page.
- Midfielder Aias Aosman is leaving the U21 squad to join SSV Jahn Regensburg, having signed a two-year deal with the recently relegated southerners.Frankly, I know a lot more about his new team than I do about the player, but I had to put something in here so I could attach the photo that accompanies the news piece in Die Welt.
Clearly, Aosman’s coach is barely able to contain his excitement.
- Apparently, a new lease agreement for use of Müngersdorfer Stadion was needed before the season start and was reached yesterday. I know there were complaints surrounding the former lease and how it damaged the club’s finances, but balance sheet information isn’t really part of my primary interest.I did get a chuckle from the headline of my friend Dominik Hardt‘s article about it on the exceptional German-language Effzeh.com, celebrating that the club will not have to play any of their home matches in Aachen.I think we can all raise a Kölsch to that!
- Speaking of Effzeh.com, they have a rumor mill section they keep updated with various and sundry items regarding the club. Yesterday, they reported that Slawomir Pesko is still in the mix for joining the club for the season, pending the outcome of negotiations between the club, Pesko’s agent, and a man who invested in Pesko and has some, as we say, ‘skin in the game.’Without knowing the details (and, clearly, I can’t be arsed to research it), some guy has invested in Pesko like he were a business. I think it’s safe to say that would never fly over here, right? And it would be for all these stupid reasons put forth to make it sound as if it were done for the protection of the player, but would really be to protect owners and sponsors.But, after this much discussion, I’d have to believe Pesko will eventually be brought back into the squad. There’s a fair chance it’ll go last minute as everyone wants the best deal available, but wouldn’t someone have walked away by now if not all parties were interested in seeing it happen?
That’s my largely uninformed opinion on the matter. Save a few of those beers for Slawomir, would you?!
- Also rumored is interest in SSC Napoli’s Erwin Hoffer, most-recently seen on a short-term loan to 1. FC Kaiserslautern, during which he scored three goals in 14 matches.
KSTA.DE is reporting the Italian club is interested in moving Hoffer, as he’s in the last year of his contract. The Austrian national with the nickname “Jimmy” is reportedly willing to make some financial concessions to facilitate a move.
According to the Kölner Stadt-Anzeiger story, however, team planner Jörg Jakobs has said the player was certainly discussed, but an acquisition is currently not in the picture.
- Peter Stöger’s former club, FK Austria Wien, opened their cup season today with a 0:3 victory at SV Oberwart in the first round of Austria’s Samsung Cup competition.I know it’s relevant in only the absolute most-tenuous way, but the Stöger transfer drama was at its peak, I found the fans of the club to be very engaging and earnest, so I’ve taken an interest in them and wish them well.
- Finally, Big Ron has a message for you. I haven’t paid to set this up as a premium site, so I can’t embed the video for you. Head to YouTube and listen to the man!And, then, read here that he’s essentially saying you should go see the Billy Goats take on the local club to his Kölsch-themed pub in Spain, RCD Mallorca, tomorrow in the Südstadion.You know the big man is right! Go! Have fun! Say ‘hey’ to Geromel for me!