Earlier this year, the ground beneath Planet Effzeh shook with the unexpected news that Anthony Ujah would leave 1. FC Köln for Werder Bremen in the summer. The club on the Weser River had already learned they were going to lose young offensive talent Davie Selkie and needed someone to at least replace him to pair with Franco di Santo.
When di Santo suddenly bolted for Schalke 04 a few days ago, people in Köln couldn’t help but wonder aloud whether Werder sporting director Thomas Eichin wouldn’t again look toward the banks of the Rhine for a replacement.
According to Zoller’s agent, though, Eichin will have no success beyond window-shopping when it comes to his client.
“Simon has no desire to transfer,” says Markus Peter, according to a report at Kicker.
Though he had been contacted last year by Werder regarding Zoller’s services, Peter says he has not been contacted by Werder representatives this summer and apparently is happy to publicly dissuade them from initiating any contact in the near future.
As discussed in our look at Zoller’s interview with Express, the striker seems to have found a new peace with his role at 1. FC Köln, a year removed from the summer in which he was the biggest acquisition made by the club. With the pressure somewhat diminished, Zoller seems to have flourished in summer preparations, perhaps positioning himself for playing time from the early stages of the season, whether as a striker or on the flank, where he started against RCD Espanyol last week.
Latest posts by Randall Hauk (see all)
- Let it Bleat – 18 January 2018 - January 18, 2018
- Jojic Goal Makes Köln H-Hotels.com Winter Cup Champions! - January 10, 2018
- Timo Horn Shuts Door on Hertha BSC in Tourney Semifinal - January 8, 2018